Wednesday, December 22, 2010

3rd Grade Reading

Last Friday I met with Olivia's teacher, the principal and one of the 3rd grade reading teachers that Olivia has been assigned too. It has been decided that she will start (as of yesterday) going to the 3rd grade class for reading and writing every morning for an hour and 15 minutes. She is a bit nervous, as she feels a little behind in some of the things they are doing right now. I am still wishing they had moved her at the beginning of the year vs. now, but when your dealing with the public school, I forget its not what is in the best interest of one child, but all the children as a whole.

She seemed to do rather well her first day, so I only hope that she can handle the new material and catch up rather quickly to her "NEW" peers. I am still a little sad that they wont move her for Math. Of course they gave me the run around for Reading/Writing, so I am not surprised. She will be working with the new teacher for 6 weeks. After this time, we will evaluate her materials and find out if this fit will work for her the entire year, or if we need to adjust anything. I have to say, I am pretty proud of Olivia. She seems to take new situations (as far as school goes) in stride. She is pretty excited to really pick things up in January. I wont lie when I say.....I am nervous for her. I don't want her to fail, but I also don't want her to feel she has to be at the pace of her classmates just because someone says she has too. If only we could get her into a school with a gifted and talented program. I know she would benefit so much from something like that. Oh the struggles of being a parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment