Thursday, September 23, 2010

Well Folks. Here It is!!

So many of you have wanted to know what the big news is all about. And you had some pretty great guesses! Nope, definitely not pregnant again. And sadly, its not a new house, but boy would that be sweet. Much better then the news I am about to share with you.

So drum-roll please!!!

...............OLIVIA STARTED SCHOOL TODAY..................

This was not at all something Jason and I wanted for her. We still feel very strongly about homeschooling Olivia. But she has asked many times if she could go. Giving us some very good reasons and asked if she could at least give it a try. I was really impressed with her. Not many kids would "ask" to go to school at seven years old. They would find the freedom of being home with mom and dad to be much more appealing then listening to a teacher tell them what to do. Not my daughter. She left today with more confidence and fearlessness then any kid I have ever seen. Not a tear, not a "mommy forget it, I changed my mind." Nothing. I am probably the most proudest mommy in the world right now. For she is making big choices all on her own. We are going to take each day as it comes. See how she is doing in school. We have already discussed with the teachers and administrators to let them know that if this isn't working out on either end, we will be pulling her out and continue homeschooling her. So its a relief knowing that I wont get much hassle from anyone if that is something we end up needing to do again.

Yesterday we took Olivia to go visit her classroom and her teacher. We were able to meet some of the administrators, the school nurse and the principal. I discussed at length the things that Olivia has already done and found that she really is about a year ahead of the game. Right now though, they wont put her in the 3rd grade. I don't know what the teacher will do as far as Olivia's reading and math skills. They said there is a chance she might go to the 3rd grade classroom for these things. Who knows. This was by far the biggest issue as to why we haven't put Olivia in the school system. She is pretty advanced as far as learning and social aspects goes. So to be put with 20 peers that are learning something she has already learned in kindergarten or 1st grade, might cause some issues. We have decided to keep up with her schooling at home. So she will be doing double duty. Her homework from school is only 30 minutes a day, so a little extra with us will only keep her on track.

So, I am home. Missing my baby. Wishing she didn't make this decision. But as a parent, Jason and I have tried very hard to have our kiddos grow up to be independent thinkers, so I guess this is where it starts.

Dear Olivia,
Your first day of school!! Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you for making this big decision on your own. Your a pretty special big girl and I can't wait to hear all about the wonderful things you did while you were at school. We love you sweetie.

Many Hugs and Kisses,
Mommy and Daddy

Olivia's First Day of School September 23, 2010
 

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Olivia, I am so proud of you. I hope you enjoy school. Remember that everyone is at school to learn. You may know some of the things already, but your classmates will need to learn them. What will you learn? Remember to listen to your teacher. Hope you have a wonderful first day and that you enjoy your time in school.

    Hugs
    Auntie Tanya

    ReplyDelete